By Teresa King Kinney, CEO MIAMI Realtors
The MIAMI Association of Realtors, the largest local Realtors association in the nation, represents 52,000 members throughout South Florida and has more than 220 partnerships with organizations worldwide.
In 2020, while preparing to celebrate its 100th anniversary and rich history of accomplishments, expansion, and success, plans were hijacked by the COVID-19 global pandemic. Organizations, businesses, individuals were forced to quickly maneuver and adapt to new realities. But, as is often the case, adversity also generated opportunity. Those equipped to rapidly adapt and leverage the opportunities found success and even thrived.
Powered by a robust foundation and strong leadership core, MIAMI Realtors approached the pandemic with the same level of strength, innovation, and creativity that has always characterized the association.
With major focus on keeping members and staff safe, MIAMI overcame the initial challengeswithout skipping a beat, seamlessly transitioning to remote operations.
MIAMI members, like Realtors throughout the country, also embraced the challenges and demonstrated great adaptability, resilience and strength. Members also expressed deep gratitude. MIAMI leaders and staff were overwhelmed with the magnitude and multitude of testimonials highlighting exceptional service and offerings during the pandemic.
Together members, leaders, and staff limited the market interruption and shielded our industry from a severe economic impact, leading to a robust recovery that exceeded pre-pandemic sales activity.
Virtual Education, Events, and Resources
MIAMI launched the impressive Miami Realtors LIVE portal along with other virtual tools, featuring 2,500-plus seminars, trainings, and programs – and continues adding content each day, including global programming, designations and certifications, and signature events such as the District 4 and the Commercial conferences.
MiamiRealtors.com/coronavirus offers easy access to important updates, information, and resources to help members navigate the unforeseen and allow them to continue doing business in a safe and legal manner.
Exceptional Advocacy and Public Policy Success
To protect our industry and ensure business continuity, the MIAMI public policy team:
- Ensured real estate remained essential by working with the state and national associations and lobbying.
- Prevented local governments from implementing restrictions.
- Provided webinars and individual assistance in English and Spanish to members seekingreemployment assistance.
- Presented webinars and information on PPP.
- Submitted comments to the SBA for a proposed rule change to ensure PPP access for all members.
- Worked with DBPR to issue Emergency Order 20-06, which revoked the emergency powers related to COVID-19, preventing condo associations from abusing their powers to impede Realtors from doing business.
- Advocated to extend license renewal deadlines.
- Provided industry-specific reopening guidelines by county.
- Lobbied FREC to approve virtual continuing education courses and third-party vendors allowing DBPR to proctor real estate license exam online.
- Crafted South Florida-specific showing guidelines, including varying requirements by countyand municipality.
- Used virtual technology to increase the number of candidate screenings.
The Power of the Next 100 Years
Centered on its past success, MIAMI Realtors looks forward to a bright future, another 100 years of excellence, continuing to overcome adversity, exceed expectations, and serve members with the highest level of service.